Resignation — Points to Remember (PTR)
1. Last Working Day (LWD)
After submitting your resignation, ask your HR/manager to confirm your Last Working Day (LWD). This is important so that you can communicate the correct date to your next employer.
2. Exit Formalities
Look out for the exit/separation formalities shared by the HR team and start completing them as soon as possible. Avoid leaving these until the last few days of your notice period.
3. *Carry Your Documents
Carry your important employment-related documents with you. It is also a good idea to check once again with HR:
"What documents should I keep with me before I leave, and whom should I contact if I realise later that I have missed any document?"
It is advisable to collect the following documents before you lose access to your employee portal, official email, or other company systems:
- Salary slips for the last 6 months
- Appraisal/increment letters shared during your employment
- Any certificates or important documents shared through your official email ID
- All available Form-16
- EPF statements, if provided by the organisation
Important: Do not rely entirely on future communication. Organisations may restructure, shut down operations, change systems, or have different people handling HR-related requests in the future. It is better to keep your important records with you before your LWD.
4. Clear Your Personal Data
Before returning your office laptop/system, check whether you have stored any personal documents or files on it and remove them.
This could include:
- PAN card or other identity documents
- Signature images/screenshots
- Mark sheets or educational certificates
- Personal photographs
- Documents uploaded temporarily for company/portal formalities
- Any other file containing your personal or sensitive information
The organisation may eventually format or reimage the system, but it is better not to rely on that. Take a final look through your folders, Downloads, Desktop, Documents, browser downloads, and other locations where you may have saved personal files.
5. *Contacts
Collect the phone number and personal/professional email address of people who can provide positive feedback about your work if your next employer conducts background or reference checks.
Ideally, keep contacts for:
- HR representative
- Project Manager/Reporting Manager
- Two colleagues who have worked closely with you
6. Reimbursements
Complete any pending reimbursements before your LWD. If a reimbursement is still being processed, take screenshots or retain supporting documents as proof, since you may lose access to the reimbursement portal after leaving.
I have personally faced this situation, so it is better to keep a record beforehand.
7. *Leave Encashment
"Ensure your timesheet is completed and submitted for all working days up to your Last Working Day. An incomplete or missing timesheet may create issues during the exit process and, depending on company policy, could potentially result in leave being marked or deducted."
- If I have unused leaves, will they be encashed as per company policy?
- If all my formalities, knowledge transfer, and handovers are completed, how many leaves can I take before my LWD? Will taking these leaves affect my LWD?
- In some organisations, certain types of leave — such as floating holidays, paternity leave, or bereavement leave — may have different rules. It is always better to confirm before making assumptions.
- Take a screenshot of your current leave balance before you lose access to the employee portal.
8. Insurance Claims
If you are covered under company-provided insurance, especially family/parent coverage, clarify what happens to the coverage after your resignation.
- Will the family/parent insurance coverage remain valid until my LWD, or will it expire earlier?
- If the insurance remains valid until a particular date, ask whether your personal email ID can be updated on the insurance records/card so that you continue receiving important communication after leaving. (Refer to the email template on this page.)
- For ongoing insurance claims: If you are already in the process of settling a claim and the insurance team is communicating with you through your official email ID:
- Check whether your email ID can be changed to your personal email ID for future communication.
- If the communication is currently happening over email, inform the insurance team about your LWD and request them to continue future communication on your personal email ID.
- Keep your personal email ID in CC when communicating this request so that you have a record that the request was made. (Refer to the email template on this page.)
9. Full & Final Settlement (F&F)
Understand what you can expect as part of your Full & Final (F&F) settlement.
-
Ask HR/payroll for a detailed breakdown:
"I am not sure if I have missed anything while going through the policies. Could you please share a detailed breakdown of what I can expect in my F&F settlement?"
A detailed F&F breakdown helps you understand the exact amounts considered under different components and can also help you provide the relevant information to your next employer for tax purposes.
-
Ask when you can expect the settlement amount to be credited to your bank account.
-
Clarify the tax treatment if your exit and F&F processing fall in different financial years.
- For example, you may be released on 15 March, while your F&F is processed on 15 April. This could mean that different components fall into different financial years.
- Ask the HR/payroll team to clarify which components of the F&F will be considered income for which financial year.
- For example: “Since my March salary falls under FY 2024–25, will the amount received as part of my F&F in April be considered income for FY 2025–26?”
- This is important because you may need to declare the relevant income/details to your next employer for tax purposes, or for your upcoming ITR submission
10. Form-16
Ask HR/payroll:
- When can I expect my Form-16 for the current financial year?
- Will Form-16 be sent to my personal email ID, or will I need to download it from a portal before my access is removed?
11. Relieving, Experience, Service and/or Separation Letter
Designation on the letter
Check the designation that will appear on your relieving/experience/service letter.
If you have performed multiple roles, you can request HR to reflect your responsibilities appropriately. For example:
"Could you please ensure that my last designation is reflected as ‘Senior Software Engineer (Full Stack Developer)’ since I have worked across both responsibilities?"
You can also ask whether a designation change can be reflected if your responsibilities have evolved significantly.
For example, if you are applying for Team Lead roles and have recently been managing a team while also performing your technical responsibilities, you may request HR to consider reflecting Team Lead or Associate Manager, if appropriate and supported by your employment records.
There is no harm in asking. However, keep in mind that your salary slips or other official records may still carry your original designation. This could come up during background verification. If your organisation has formally recognised your changed role through an appraisal, promotion, transition, or other document, keep that documentation with you as supporting evidence.
When will the letter be issued?
Generally, the relieving/experience letter may be issued after the F&F process is completed. However, if you urgently need it for a new job application, check with HR whether an early or provisional document can be provided.
(Refer to the email template on this page.)
12. Employees' Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO)
Clarify the following with HR/payroll:
- Will the employer contribution to my EPF account for my LWD month be deposited as per the applicable process?
- Please ensure that my Exit Date in the EPFO records/portal is updated correctly after my separation.
Keeping this information accurate is important for your future EPF records and related processes.
13. Gratuity
If you are covered by the Payment of Gratuity Act, generally you become eligible for gratuity after completing 5 years of continuous service with the organisation, subject to applicable rules and exceptions.
For employees covered by the Act, the general formula is:
Gratuity = (Last drawn Basic Salary + eligible Dearness Allowance) × 15 × Completed years of service ÷ 26
If you are eligible for gratuity, check the following with HR/payroll:
- When will my gratuity be processed and paid?
- How has my gratuity amount been calculated?
- Can you please share the calculation/breakup for my records?
14. Biometric Access
If your organisation uses biometric systems for office access, ask the relevant team to remove your biometric details after your separation, where applicable.
You can also request confirmation that your biometric information used for access control, such as thumb/fingerprint records, has been removed or deactivated as per the organisation's process.
15. LinkedIn Recommendation
Your resignation is also a good opportunity to stay connected with people you have worked with.
Consider asking your manager, project manager, or colleagues for a LinkedIn recommendation based on your work and contributions.
If someone has already given you positive feedback or recognised your work, you can make it easier for them by sharing a draft-recommendation based on that feedback, which they can review and edit before posting.
You can refer to LinkedIn's guidance on recommendations: LinkedIn Help — Recommendations
16. *Recurring Payments / Subscriptions
"Avoid losing money unnecessarily after you leave — check and remove your personal payment details from any company/project-related recurring payments."
18. Exit-communication Records
Your company email may disappear after your LWD, but an important confirmation shouldn't—make sure you have a permitted record of it before you leave.
19. Future Communication
This is generally covered during the exit interview with HR. However, if it has not already been discussed, make sure you clarify the following before your LWD:
- Ask once again which documents you should keep with you—salary slips, previous Form-16, appraisal letters, certificates, EPF records, etc.
- Ask if there is anything else you should know that is not covered under the standard exit formalities.
- Let HR know that you may have questions after your LWD and ask:
- Whom should I contact?
- What email ID/phone number should I use?
- How long should I expect a response to take?
- Share your personal email ID with the relevant HR/team so that important post-exit communication can continue after your official email access is removed.
🌟 One simple rule to remember: before your LWD, make sure you have your documents, records, contacts, pending payments/reimbursements, benefits information, and a clear point of contact for anything that may come up later.
Templates
Template#1 — Request for Experience / Relieving Letter
Hi Team,
I would like to request that my Experience/Relieving Letter be shared with me at the earliest possible convenience, as I may need to submit it to my upcoming employer in the coming days.
I understand that the letter is generally provided after completion of the Full and Final settlement process, which may take up to 45 days. However, I would really appreciate your support in facilitating this request sooner, if possible, considering my upcoming employment requirements.
Kindly share the document on my personal email address: mypersonal@emailid.com.
Thank you for your support and consideration.
Regards,
[Your Name]
Template#2 — Request to Update Registered Email Address – Insurance Policies
Hi Team,
I would like to request an update to my registered email address for my insurance policies. Please find the details below:
Employee ID: 1009080
Employee UHID: 998877 (Health Card)
Policy Numbers:
- 100-200-30001 — Personal, Spouse & Children
- 100-200-30001 — Parents
Kindly update my registered email address from myname@yourorg.com to myname@personalmail.com.
As my Last Working Day (LWD) is approaching, I would like to ensure that my personal email address is registered for all future insurance-related correspondence. I have also marked my personal email address in CC for reference.
Please confirm once the email address has been updated in your records.
Thank you for your support.
Regards,
[Your Name]
Template#3 — LWD Message to the Team
Hi Everyone,
Today’s my LWD. Just waving a little goodbye 👋
My journey with [Company Name] began in a way I’ll always be grateful for. I’m especially thankful to [Person 1], [Person 2], and [Person 3/Team] for trusting me during the interview process and giving me the opportunity to be part of [Company Name].
I still remember when [Person/Name] was the first person I reached out to for [project/work-related help]. Through those early conversations and interactions with other team members, I quickly realised that I had joined a team full of [technically strong/supportive/talented] people — something I’ve always been proud to be a part of.
The [unique term/role/process], which initially left me wondering what to expect, eventually became a meaningful connection with [Person/Name]. They made me feel [what they made you feel/what you learned], and that became one of the many reasons [Company Name] became such a meaningful part of my career.
[Company Name] has had — and continues to have — some amazing leaders, and I’ve learned something valuable from each of them. I’ve genuinely enjoyed being part of this team and will always fondly remember [specific company/team memory, achievement, or culture highlight].
A special thank you to [Leader/CEO Name] — your leadership gave me the opportunity to be part of this journey, and I truly enjoyed every bit of it.
To my current team and the entire @[Team/Company Group] — wishing you continued success and growth. The [culture/people/spirit/values] here truly deserve it, and I hope you achieve even greater things ahead.
And finally, thank you all for the kind wishes in the thread. Reading each message genuinely meant a lot to me. I’m grateful for the connections, support, lessons, and memories we’ve shared.
Signing off with gratitude,
[Your Name] ❤️
https://www.linkedin.com/in/careerdrug-blogspot-com


Comments
Post a Comment